Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens

Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens

IMG_9680

How beautiful it was to look out the window of our suite and gaze upon the gated entrance to Hyde Park. We had spent a few moments walking around Hyde Park Corner before tea a day or two before, but we really hadn’t had the time to go deep into the park itself. Buttoning up our coats and slinging our cameras on, we started into the park and followed the North path along the Serpentine River. We knew it was a large park but I don’t think we truly grasped just how sprawling it was. The entire area covers 350 acres of land. My family’s farm is about 80 acres and I thought that was huge. The size only proved for a long and relaxing walk along the river, watching ducks, swans and geese splash about and wishing we could be as cool as all the rollerbladers speeding past us.  The air was cool but the sun was warm on our faces. Like Portland, London is known for being a bit rainy and dreary so when the sun is shining, people take the opportunity to get out in it.

IMG_9689

IMG_9695

IMG_9702

IMG_9724

IMG_9725

Now, let us take a moment to tell you about London squirrels. These squirrels are all sorts of crazy. They are completely unafraid of people. I knelt down as near as I could and began to speak squirrel (very accurately I might add) to them, holding out my hand to draw them near. I had not one, but two different squirrels approach me and sniff my hand for food. They even began following us when we walked away.

IMG_9772

IMG_9766

IMG_9777

We continued our way up through the Kensington Gardens area, covered in lush vegetation and brilliant flora, when we came across the stunning Italian Gardens. I can’t wait to go back there and spend some time reading by the fountains.

IMG_9796

IMG_9797 IMG_9790

IMG_9791

IMG_9794

IMG_9806

We made it to the North edge of the park where we followed the side walk, sprinkled with art for sale and quaint red telephone booths to our next destination, Notting Hill and Portobello Road.

IMG_9818

IMG_9813

IMG_9811

IMG_9816

IMG_9825

*Jade’s charming coat was lent to us from Duchess Clothier.

+ Share Post
Pinterest Facebook Twitter Tumblr Stumbleupon Email

8Comments

• thecitygourmand / 16 January 2014 5:23

Lovely photos, proving that there is a peaceful side to London!

• endlesslyenraptured / 19 January 2014 3:33

Thank you so much. There is most certainly a peaceful side although sometimes it takes a little more effort to find :)

• Ade / 17 January 2014 4:43

O yeah, those squirrels are mental.

You may be shocked to find their story isn’t very dissimilar to yours. Greys came over here from America as a pair (probably a couple) ;), and have since virtually replaced the indigenous Squirrels which are red.

• endlesslyenraptured / 19 January 2014 3:33

Hahaha! Mental is exactly right. Oh, wow, that is so interesting! It’s amazing how travel has completely changed how various species live and produce…

• Vickie / 20 January 2014 3:38

gorgeous – love the spray from the fountain.

also I love that second photo – all the green & the coat & the red lips, wonderful

• becky | accooohtrements blog / 20 January 2014 1:55

are you still in london? one of my favourite (secret) spots is the roof terrace at one new change – it’s magical!

in relation to your shake shack post you should also try honest burgers in soho. they’ll change your life.

becky,

accooohtrements.wordpress.com

• endlesslyenraptured / 21 January 2014 10:42

Sadly, we aren’t in London right now, HOWEVER we are going to be coming back this year! We already have the tickets, it’s just about choosing the dates now. Thank you SO much for your recommendations! I’m writing them down in my travel journal right now so we can check them out on our next visit!

– Jade